In order for a Fitbit device to sync and send data to Fitabase for access inside your project, it must be linked to a Fitbit account. This article explains how to create a Fitbit account and provides crucial information on how account information affects Fitbit statistics.
A unique email address and password are required for each Fitbit account. By going to https://www.fitbit.com/signup, you may create a fitbit com setup account.
After you create a Fitbit account, you'll be prompted to confirm your email address. Check your spam folder in the connected email account if you don't receive a verification email. Finish setting up your Fitbit account! is a common topic for the verification email. and comes from fitbit.com's firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be prompted to provide demographic information such as height, weight, date of birth, and gender while creating an account. You'll also be prompted to give the account a name. When you're ready to deliver devices to your participants, you can enter dummy/fake data and update it afterward.
Important: The demographic data from your Fitbit account is utilized in a variety of Fitbit algorithms. We strongly advise that you update your account information (height, weight, date of birth, and gender) with precise measurements in order to generate accurate statistics. The following data endpoints will be affected by demographic data:
- the number of calories consumed (Estimated Energy Expenditure)
- Zones of Heart Rate
Fitbit Account Creation: Fitbit Mobile App
Fitbit accounts may also be created in the Fitbit Connect software for Mac and Windows PCs, as well as in the Fitbit mobile apps. Visit this Fitbit help page for further information on setting up Fitbit accounts with these software options: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1873/.
Multiple Fitbit Accounts Setup
You may use the following approach to simplify the process of creating numerous Fitbit accounts without having to create a huge number of email addresses.
- Create a Gmail account for your studies here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en
- Add a “+Participant Identifier” to the study email address for each Fitbit account.
- When using Gmail to establish a Fitbit.com profile, you may attach "+" and other characters to an email, making it appear like a unique address.
- The primary research Gmail account will be linked to all Fitbit accounts (inbox).
- FitbitStudy@gmail.com is the study Gmail account.
- FitbitStudy+P01@gmail.com; FitbitStudy+P02@gmail.com; FitbitStudy+P03@gmail.com; FitbitStudy+P04@gmail.com; FitbitStudy+P05@gmail.com; FitbitStud
Connecting Fitbit Accounts to Fitbit Devices
You'll have the opportunity to set up a device when you establish a Fitbit account using Fitbit Connect or the Fitbit mobile applications.
If you've previously set up your Fitbit accounts and want to link your Fitbit device to your Fitbit account at a later time (for example, during a participant orientation visit), you can do so using the fitbit.com setup Connect software or the mobile application.
Fitbit Connect is the device's connection.
- In the Fitbit Connect settings menu, select "Main Menu."
- Choose “Set up a New Fitbit Device” from the drop-down menu.
- Select "Existing User" from the drop-down menu.
- Fill up the details for the Fitbit account you wish to link to the device (email/password).
- Select the device type and connect it with your Fitbit account by following the on-screen prompts.
Fitbit Mobile App (device connection)
- Check to verify if the fitbit.com/setup App is compatible with the mobile device you (or your participant) is using here: https://www.fitbit.com/devices
- Download the relevant app store's mobile application:
- Apple's mobile operating system (Apple)
- Google Play
- Windows (Android)
- Open the app and log in with the Fitbit account information you generated (email/password).
- To connect a new device to the account and pair it with the mobile device, follow the onscreen steps.