With millions of new gun owners in America and concealed carry permit numbers at an all-time high. Do we get asked all the time “what is the best self-defense ammo”?
Today we're gonna go over our top five self-defense ammo. One important thing is there is a lot more self-defense ammo. But we are suggesting you test and try all of them.
- The Speer Gold Dot: The gold dot was the first handgun ammunition loaded with truly bonded core bullets. It's a hollow point design and the cavity is tuned to the specific caliber and bullet weights to ensure optimal performance. The composition of this ammo is the bullet begins with an alloy lead core, a unicorn electrochemical process, eliminates core jacket separation, and guarantees uniform jacket thickness for superior accuracy. It is nickel-plated brass with CCI primers.
The great thing about the gold dot is they do offer pistol calibers such as the 9mm, 380, 40 smiths, 45 ACP all that but they also offer revolver calibers such as 357 magnums and they offer rifle calibers for home defense and self-defense
- The Federal Premium HST: Its effective self-defense requires ammunition that provides consistent expansion optimum penetration and superior terminal performance. It's already the duty load of choice for law enforcement officers throughout the world. Its specially designed hollow point won't plug while passing through a variety of barriers and the bullet jacket and core hold together to provide nearly 100%weight retentions. through even the toughest materials the expanded diameter and weight retention produce the desired penetration for personal defense situations without over penetrating the bullet nose profile the nickel-plated case and high-performance primer provide the ultimate function and reliability in semi-automatic handguns. One of the big downfalls of the hit series is only available in pistol calibers for many of you that's okay but if you're looking for something for a revolver or a defensive round for your rifle. It does offer 40 smiths, 45, 380, and 10mm. It is very reliable & good ammo but like I said it does have limitations.
- Sig Sauer Elite Performance V-crown: When it comes to self-defense ammo the v-crown ammo creates a consistent v-shaped main cavity on top of a deep narrow trail with superior weight retention maximum expansion optimal penetration depth. Time after time the v-crown cartridges utilize a perfect storm of features from low flash propellant to a cannelured shank. Resulting in maximum weight retention with reliable ballistic performance. It combines the perfected material specifications and fine-tuned design innovations including a stacked hollow-point, cavity to deliver exceptional on-target energy with maximum weight retention and optimal expansion for ultimate stopping power.
As you can see the great thing about the v crown is they come in a lot of different pistol calibers and revolver calibers and they just released a new-crown in 300 blackouts. It is the most cost-effective ammo in the self-defensive market.
- Winchester Defender Series: The Winchester defender series is kind of the original of self-defense ammo. The best thing about this ammo is that it comes in a lot of different calibers. Obviously, it comes in semi-autos like 9mm 380, 10mm, 40 smiths, 45 ACP but it also is going to come in a lot of revolvers 357mag, 38 special plus p 45 colt. It also comes in rifle calibers such as 223 308, 7.62x39. The coolest thing probably is it does come in the defensive shot for shotguns and 12 gauge,20 gauge, and in 410. The Winchester pdx1 defender is the go-to ammo for those if you're looking for something that's been around a long time has been tried and trued.
- Hornady Critical Defense: The critical defense is the fix that maximizes the potential of a hollow-point bullet as far as the composition and features of the critical defense. The critical defense- the centered design was developed to provide the best performance for personal protection and is the ultimate choice for concealed carry firearms, self-defense rifles.
The great thing about the critical defense line is it comes in a bunch of handgun calibers.
So these are the top 5 self-defense ammo in 2020.