A senior data scientist's responsibility is to supervise and provide experience and expertise to other medium and junior data scientists as needed. They are also responsible for guiding data flow, research, and digital construction within the team, data mining, and establishing, maintaining, and improving new data-related software, initiatives, and programs.
Senior data scientists must have a diverse range of abilities, including programming, statistics, mathematics, analysis, and economics. Depending on the industry, they may additionally need to specialize in SQL, deep learning (DL) and machine learning (ML) models, e-commerce, marketing, business, and data pipelines
When it comes to being a senior data scientist, there is more to it than meets the eye. Did you know, for example, that they earn an average of $55.66 per hour? That equates to $126,053 every year!
In most cases, the employer will additionally require a Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Computer Science, or a related branch of study, as well as at least a few years of experience. Some employers may even seek people with a Master's degree in one of these fields. Moreover, the data science career is anticipated to grow by 16% between 2018 and 2028, creating 5,200 job opportunities across the US and India.
What Is the Role of a Senior Data Scientist?
Many top data scientists require certain skills to do their job. Reviewing applications could narrow down the most typical talents for a person in this role. We observed that many resumes mentioned logical thinking, arithmetic ability, and being detail-focused.
Responsibilities of A Senior Data Scientist
Here are some instances of duties from genuine senior data scientist resumes that depict typical activities they would be doing in their employment.
- Control classified documents and apps; manage SharePoint database access.
- To obtain good speed while importing data into Netezza, create mappings that use pushdown optimization.
- Create Java MapReduce tasks for data cleaning and preprocessing.
- Use Hadoop and MapReduce tasks to collect user geographic information and provide location-based marketing solutions.
- Worked with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and HBase.
- Worked on Linux shell scripts for business processes and loading data from multiple interfaces to HDFS.
- Using COGNOS, do data profiling and provide a percentage breakdown of the data for additional study.
- Assist the team in utilizing Talend as an ETL tool to transform and load data from various databases.
- Led a COGNOS development team in fulfilling existing client reporting needs by reducing requirements and the underlying process.
- SAS may be used to mine, clean, and analyze data to derive insights for commercial applications.
- Extensive experience with adding/installing new components and removing them using ambari on HDP and manually on EC2 clusters.
How to Advance Your Career as a Senior Data Scientist?
If you want to be a senior data scientist, one of the first things you should think about is how much schooling you'll need. We discovered that 40.4% of senior data scientists hold a bachelor's degree or above. Regarding higher education, 35.0% of senior data scientists hold a master's degree. Even though most senior data scientists have a college degree, becoming one with only a high school diploma or GED is impossible
When exploring how to become a senior data scientist, choosing the correct major is always a vital step. When we looked into the most prevalent majors for senior data scientists, we discovered that they often receive bachelor's or master's degrees. Other degrees we frequently see on senior data scientist resumes are PhD and associate degrees. You could find that previous work experience will help you advance to the senior data scientist position. Indeed, many senior data scientist roles demand prior expertise as a data scientist. Meanwhile, many senior data scientists have prior work experience as research assistants or data analysts. Many of them also have advanced their existing skills to get promoted to a senior level. To learn the latest skills, Learnbay’s Data Science Course in Delhi is the perfect place.