When it comes to losing weight, human beings paint ourselves with colors, we invent a thousand ways to achieve it, if not we investigate it or listen to what the comadre has to advise us, but the joke is that we never need a diet to try to lose a few extra pounds or at least try to do it.
Among the thousands of diets that we find on the internet or that are being a trend, lately we have heard or seen a lot of the famous intermittent fasting, a new diet that is becoming very fashionable among athletes and those who seek to lose weight permanently.
WHAT IS INTERMITTENT FASTING?
It is a model of eating that goes by cycles, which are formed by periods of fasting and eating, in simpler words, it is not exactly a diet, but a feeding program that focuses on telling you how often to eat and not what what you should eat.
WAYS TO DO INTERMITTENT FASTING
There are several methods to carry out this diet, from which you can choose the one that best suits your needs or with which you manage to feel comfortable, but the most popular are:
- 8/16: This method consists of eating for 8 hours in a row and maintaining a fast for 16 hours in a row, in which, obviously, the hours of sleep are included. Most people who choose to follow this diet skip breakfast and start their 8 hour meal at noon and stop eating until 8:00 PM.
- 5: 2: In this one, the idea is to reduce your daily calorie intake to a maximum of 500-600 for two days a week, while the other 5 you can literally eat what you want; The two days you choose to do the diet should not be consecutive.
- Eat, stop, eat: For this diet, the fasting days should be alternated with the days of eating well, that is, you eat what you want for 24 hours and the next day you take a total rest from food, since it is only allowed to drink calorie-free beverages. You can only do this pattern twice a week at most.
PRODUCES HORMONAL CHANGES
As in any diet, intermittent fasting also generates hormonal changes in the people who do it, but these changes are definitely for the better, since it causes the hormones in your body to make better use of your fat reserves, causing:
- Improvement in insulin sensitivity, especially if intermittent fasting is combined with exercise, which makes it a good diet for people who have weight problems, since low insulin levels are related to better burning of grease.
- Various studies have shown that weight gain can interfere with insulin's ability to lower blood sugar levels, resulting in more insulin, thus promoting fat storage.
- By causing growth hormone secretion to increase, protein synthesis is accelerated, making fat available as an energy source, resulting in rapid fat burning and muscle building.
HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT
Some studies have found that if you can do intermittent fasting correctly you will lose weight, but how do you do it correctly?
As we have said before, this diet does not prohibit you at any time from stopping eating anything, you can continue eating as you please, but he discovered that if you do this fast and eat a good diet, that is, do not get stuck with full foods of fat and sugar, you will lose weight, even prevent type 2 diabetes.
Not only that, but the body learns to process the food consumed during the eating period better and more efficiently.
WHAT IF I FEEL HUNGRY DURING THE FAST?
The solution not to fall into temptation and really follow this intermittent fasting to the letter is to drink green tea or coffee, this will help you resist until the next meal, although many people say that hunger or anxiety attacks, and Cravings that do arise usually disappear after two days of fasting.
It is clear that this intermittent fasting is not for everyone, since, like any diet, it takes a lot of willpower and desire to overcome it. The recommendation is that, if you do, watch all food that you put in your mouth, since it is not healthy to retaliate during the hours that you can eat everything that you had not been able to.
Blood sugar spikes often occur in those with diabetes, as their body cannot process glucose properly. Many factors can cause your blood sugar to rise other than the types of foods you eat. The types of drinks we consume, the medications we take, and our physical condition all affect blood sugar levels.